- Date: October 15, 2022
- Program: Quilt Judging and Appraising
- Speaker: Jackie Clark; Jackie Clark Designs
Our October speaker is Jackie Clark of Wichita, KS. She runs her own business, designing and selling quilt, clothing and accessory patterns.
She has been stitching and sewing from the age of 10, coming from a long line of quilters, including her mother, grandmothers, and great-grandmothers.
According to Jackie, “I have actually stitched or participated in the stitching of all things textile, by hand and machine.”
Jackie also is a non-certified quilt appraiser and judge. She says dating fabrics and quilts led her to becoming an appraiser.
Among the reasons to have your quilt appraised is to be sure that your quilt has adequate insurance coverage while at a quilt show or on exhibit at a show. It is also good to know a replacement value for insurance purposes before a loss such as fire, flood, damage or disappearance occurs.
Insurance companies will not accept you doing your own appraisal to determine the fair market value of a quilt before you donate, sell, or gift for estate purposes (may be required by the IRS).
Jackie plans to bring some small quilts and as a group we can do a mock judging. Everyone can be a judge.
The morning presentation is “Quilt Judging and Appraising.”
This month’s business portion of the meeting includes:
• Destash Bash: destash: verb. To remove (thread, fabric, equipment, etc.) from one’s collection. Clean those sewing rooms, closets, boxes, totes, and anywhere else you stash your stuff (or stuff your stash). We’re setting up a trade/donate/sell table. Mark each item with your name and price, and have fun with your fellow guild members.
• Show and Share: Bring your finished quilts and/or works in progress.
• Raffle tickets: Tickets are $1 each or 6 tickets for only $5. Bring a visitor and you both get one free ticket!